Wednesday 8 April 2015

Day 3 of 5 Real Life Homeschool and a word about Homeschool Support

It's the middle of the week and already it's feeling like a long one. The weather is changing and each day feels colder than the last.  It's been one of *t*h*o*s*e* weeks where I'd rather be curled up on the couch with a good book, hot cup of tea and a warm blanket than doing life.

To be honest with you I don't think I could have stayed on this journey as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mother) and homes schooler for as long as I have without the blessing of friends who over the years have provided support and encouragement.

The friendship group I'm talking about are the woman who are currently in the season of life of homeschooling their families and those who are older and can mentor me.  These women are vitally important to the success of my journey. They pray for me regularly, have seen the good, the bad, the highs and the lows of my journey.  They are there to lend support in a multitude of ways from babysitting to cooking a meal when I'm not well. We have shed tears together and laughed together and they are the glue God has used to keep me together on the journey. Why ?  They understand because they are currently living the journey with me.

The bible has this to say about support and friendship:
  • Ecclesiastes 4:12 says:  And though a man might prevail against him who is alone, two will withstand him. A threefold cord is not quickly broken. This is so true.  When I have come up against negative pressure about homeschooling then it's my friends who have stood by me and strengthened me. On the days when it is just plain hard to keep on keeping on it then that the strength of my friendships have given me the courage to keep going.
  • It also says A friend loves at all times, and is born, as is a brother, for adversity. (Proverbs 17:17) Adversity comes in many forms when you home school from the neighbour or family member who disapproves of your educational choices to the child who defies your every instruction and makes schooling an uphill battle from sun up to sun down.  Your friends and family are then your support.
  • Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend [to show rage or worthy purpose]. (Proverbs 27:17) I am so very grateful for this part of home school friendships.  My friends are not afraid to let me know when my choices are not so wise.  They speak the truth in love and keep me accountable and for that I am so grateful. 

Support Groups are different to co-ops in that they are an informal gathering, which can happen weekly, fortnightly or monthly. These  groups can be two homeschool families that connect well or a group of mothers connecting on a regular basis.  Most meet together with their children and some meet without their children.

I really enjoyed this statement by Renee Gotcher from Next Generation Homeschool: "When you think about it, homeschool support group is a bit of an oxymoron: We choose to homeschool so that we can independently make decisions about our children’s education, and yet we inherently desire the support of others to inform, encourage and assist us."  To read more about the role of support groups in helping you successfully home school your children go to: Homeschool Support

Our Morning
Our Afternoon

  • Nathaniel had some play time while I did some Social Media work.
  • We read The Answers Book for Kids Vol 1 and had some interesting conversations.  I learned a couple of interesting things too.
  • We went to a friends house for an hour of fellowship. We have been meeting up weekly for the last eight years and I pray that we will be able to meet up for many more years to come. 
Our Evening
  • Paul came home and prepared for his Pilates class.
  • Wednesday evenings are family movie night so we watched The Emperor's New Groove.
If you are new to homeschooling or if you are a veteran homeschool Mom I would like to encourage you to sew into your friendships they are worth the time it takes.  Lastly do remember these words of our Lord: Be strong, courageous, and firm; fear not nor be in terror before them, for it is the Lord your God Who goes with you; He will not fail you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6

Blessings until Tomorrow
Chareen
 

Other posts in this series



Here are 10 new Homeschool bloggers from the Schoolhouse Review Crew to meet.

  1. Treasuring Life's Blessings
  2. Double O Farms
  3. Simple Living Mama
  4. Fried Clams and Sweet Tea
  5. This Sweet Life
  6. A Net In Time
  7. Counting Pinecones
  8. Some Call It Natural
  9. Kingdom Academy Homeschool
  10. Debbie's Homeschool Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥